Hi! Welcome to Throw Back Thursday! In case you missed the final bathroom reveal last week, pop over and see more of the remodeling process. It only took a year and a few months….
It’s hard to believe that our master bathroom remodel project took over a year to complete. It was slow going, but in the end I’m glad it did. It gave us time to really plan out the design. Trust me, we changed our minds several times about tile choices and what to do with our cabinets and countertops. Now I feel like we got exactly the look we wanted and now we can sit back and enjoy it everyday! (Until we move.)
When we remodeled the bathrooms at the lake house we were at the mercy of the contractor’s schedule. I was forced to quickly choose the tile for both of the bathrooms upstairs. In hindsight, I wish I stuck with the white subway tiles in all of the bathrooms. White is so classic and I feel like subway tiles will never go out of style. But, that ship has sailed.
I didn’t want to make the same mistake with our master bathroom in PA so I’m glad we took our time. This is the master bathroom just as the project began. The first things to go were the enormous medicine cabinets. And it bugged me the sconce over the sink was off center.
So when we installed the new smaller medicine cabinets, we had the electrician center the light over the mirror & sink.
This is the original shower and glass enclosure.
And thus began the deconstruction of the tile. Not a pretty sight.
Of course most of the tile was stuck permanently to the hardie backer so it came out too. There was a leak behind the tile, so that had to be repaired as well. Thanks Builder.
Out came more tile and the huge plastic soaker tub was next. This monster took up half of the bathroom!
The old tub surround came out too. Then of course we had a sprinkler line that had to be moved along with some of the plumbing.
More tile coming out. As we chiseled it up, we carried it to the trash in a big plastic trash can. It weighted a ton.
More chipping away at the tile. It was very tedious.
Finally all of the tile up and the floor prepped.
Testing to make sure the new shower base fit and to measure where to build the half wall. We made the shower slightly bigger all around.
The half wall my husband built:
The new subfloor. Talk about measure twice, cut once. This was tricky!
The new hardie back walls getting ready for tile:
And sheetrock repair:
The Carrera Marble tile:
And some other midway projects like the chair rail going in:
Picture frame moulding:
The tile is finished!
The glass shower enclosure installed:
Add dozens of other steps. And it’s FINISHED!
So there you have it! I sort of doubt anyone in our house will ever use the claw foot tub. We are not bath people. But it really is beautiful to look at! (We actually had room for a larger tub but we didn’t want to make the bathroom look crowded.) In our next house, I would LOVE to have a vintage cast iron tub with brass feet. For this bathroom we went with polished chrome all around. Hopefully the mix of vintage and modern will please future buyers.
Demolition and do it yourself projects are not for the faint of heart. It was a long and back breaking project. I tell you, those tiles are HEAVY. Even in pieces. We hired out the parts of the remodel that were above our pay grade, such as the tile, electrical and plumbing. Those things are better left to the professionals. And no room is complete without a chandelier!
Of course there were a million other little steps in between, like painting the trim, walls and cabinets and having the new countertops installed. But we are thrilled with the way it turned out! I’m looking for some artwork for the walls and a few accessories but it will come in due time. Again, I don’t want to rush it and end up with something we don’t love. I guess the moral of this story is take your time and do it right the first time. You’ll be glad you did!
Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have a great day! xoxo Dell