Good Afternoon, Tuesday Friends! My husband and I tried a new recipe last night for dinner. It was so delicious I had to share it! It’s called Quinoa Black Bean Salad. I promise, if you are a fan of black beans, you’ll LOVE it!
My husband and I try our best to eat a low carb, low sugar diet. But we still try to include plenty of fiber which is where the quinoa comes in. I searched the internet yesterday looking for a recipe that had quinoa and black beans. I found one on Pinterest and we tweeked a bit to suit our tastes. (which of course included adding garlic and onions!) So, below is the recipe as we made it. To find the original recipe go to: http://bargainbriana.com/black-bean-quinoa-salad/
*1 cup quinoa, rinsed
•2 cups chicken broth
*1 can black beans drained and rinsed
* 1 can yellow whole kernel corn drained and rinsed
*1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
*1 bunch cilantro washed and chopped
*3 spring onions finely chopped
*2 cloves garlic finely chopped
FOR THE DRESSING:
*1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
*Juice from one lime
*1 teaspoon salt
*1 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
*1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil and stir in the quinoa. Return to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for approximately 20-25 minutes. (or until liquid is absorbed)
- While the quinoa is cooking, mix together the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine the black beans, corn, bell pepper, cilantro, onions and garlic in a separate bowl.
- Once the quinoa is done transfer to a larger pan and add the dressing and the black bean mixture together. Continue cooking until heated thoroughly.
- This dish can be served hot or cold!
- Last night we had it warm along with a pork chop but today for lunch I added some fresh chopped cherry tomatoes and it was delicious cold too!
This dish is so simple to make and the fresh cilantro and lime give it tons of amazing flavor. I have to admit my husband was a little skeptical when I first described the recipe, but then he came around when he saw the ingredients. This is definitely a keeper! And with temperatures soaring in the 90’s this week, this is the perfect summer time salad. Plus, isn’t it pretty?
I hope you give this recipe a try! Let me know if you do and if you added your own spin to it as well. Since my husband suggested a few changes to the original, it’s officially now a “Bradford” recipe. LOL. Enjoy your day! Thanks for stopping by. xoxo Dell