Happy Wednesday! Yesterday I shared how I was doing a fabulous mirror repainting which has been long overdue.
I painted it with several coats of chalk paint and then I added some dark wax to bring out the beautiful detail. Come see how it turned out and I’ll share a few more painting do’s and don’ts!
Yesterday I started re-painting this beautiful mirror. Here is how it looked at the onset of the project. It was beautiful but the yellow didn’t match my color scheme. I wanted to give it a more antique vibe.
So, I painted the frame with white chalk paint. After the paint was dry I brushed on a heavy coat of soft dark wax using a stipple brush. It worked great getting the wax into all of the nooks and crannies. I worked in small sections so the wax wouldn’t dry too quickly. Using old clean t-shirts I rubbed off the majority of the wax leaving it darker in the recessed areas.
I love how the wax gives the paint a rich glossy finish. The wax dried overnight and the frame was ready for re-assembly.
I carefully put the mirror back in the frame and reattached the back. I love it! Using a couple of screws I attached some old wire to the back of the mirror for hanging. Thinking it would look better in the master bedroom rather than the bathroom I replaced an existing mirror opposite the bed with the new one. I knew the hook could hold the weight since the old mirror was larger and heavier. So, I hung the newly painted mirror:
I’d like to say I hung the mirror and we all lived happily ever after. But, after I hung the new mirror and staged the area, I took one picture then disaster struck. Not total disaster, mind you. Things can ALWAYS be worse. But, the wire broke in half and the mirror fell. Luckily there was a table below that broke its fall. The mirror did not break. (thank goodness!) But one of my antique figurines got decaptiated. Poor thing. I will glue him back together but I feel bad that he lived this long intact and I broke him.
So, in the end the mirror turned out great and unbroken. I need to run to the store and get new hanging hardware and obviously new and heavier duty wire. Then, I will hang it again. Hopefully with a better outcome. (The other figurine has probably fled the country.) My tip (mostly to myself) is to make sure you have the proper hanging hardware to hold the weight of your project.
I think tomorrow I will share a throw back Thursday of a project that I did successfully! Hope you have a wonderful and a more successful day than I. Thank you for stopping by! xoxo Dell