Happy Tuesday, friends! As promised, I’m going to share with you a delicious and easy recipe for Italian Beef! One of my neighbors made it on Halloween for our block party and it was a huge hit! I asked her for the recipe (in exchange for a crystal for her chandelier haha) and she gave it to me! Here goes!
This crock pot recipe makes the most tender and juicy beef ever! It’s so chock fun of flavor too and makes a ton so it’s a great dish to make for a crowd. An inexpensive too!
ITALIAN BEEF RECIPE
FOR THE BEEF:
- 3 to 4 pound chuck roast or round roast
- Kosher salt
- 14.5 ounce can beef broth divided
- 8 ounces pepperoncini pepper slices (plus ¼ cup of juice and additional peppers for serving.)
- 8 ounces giardiniera (mild) drained plus additional for serving
- Provolone cheese slices for serving
- Hoagie buns for serving
FOR THE SEASONING:
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- Allow the meat to rest at room temperature for 15 minutes. (This is a good time to measure your spices and seasonings.)
- Season the beef with kosher salt all over.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add some olive oil and sear the meat on all sides until golden brown. (this will take about 10 minutes. I browned the beef about 4 minutes on each side and then did the sides.)
- Transfer the meat to slow cooker on low heat.
- Turn the stove top to medium and carefully splash som of the broth into the pan you used to brown the beef. Scrape the bottom and pour the liquid and any bits of char or beef onto the beef in the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl mix together the ingredients for the seasoning. Mix well and pour on top of the beef.
- Add the pepperoncini peppers and juice.
- Add the giardiniera. (do not add any of the juice.)
- Pour in the remaining broth.
- Cover the crock pot and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or until meat shreds easily with a fork.
- Shred the beef and stir it together with the juices and peppers. Cover and cook on low for 30 additional minutes.
- To serve, split hoagie buns and toast on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes. Fill with shredded Italian beef and get plenty of that yummy juice! Top with provolone cheese, pepperoncini and giardiniera as desired. Enjoy!
*You can swap the homemade Italian seasoning mix in this recipe with a .7 ounce pack of Italian dressing mix.
*It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or frozen for 3 months in an air-tight container.
*The pepperoncini and the giardiniera can be found in the pickle and olive section of your local grocery store.
I don’t know who to credit with this recipe other than my neighbor, Kathy. The recipe she gave me was printed and didn’t have an author so sorry about that whoever made this recipe! I can tell you it is VERY good and has a bit of a kick! We had it for dinner last night and it was amazing! The bad part is we had to smell it cooking for 9 hours before we ate it! LOL.
Well, I’ll be sharing with you a few new things this week so stay tuned! Until next time! Love and hugs, Dell